Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Happy 4th birthday girls!

Then: August 19, 2005

Grace Talbot 1 pound 2 ounces, 11.5 inches long




Haley Higgins 1 pound 4 ounces, 12 inches long


The first set of goals...17 more weeks to go!


Now August 19, 2009


Gracie


Haley
Wow, is all I can say about the last four years! The girls surprise arrival into this world four years ago, changed life as we knew it. Not that we didn't anticipate change when we saw the two little heartbeats back in my eighth week in pregnancy, but we were not prepared to watch our babies develop primarily outside of my body! When they were born, their little eyes were still sealed shut, their skin was paper thin, their lungs sticky, wet and deflated. For weeks, the ventilator kept them breathing and a thin layer of saran wrap over a bed warmer acted as their womb. I could talk for hours about all the emotions we experienced, the struggles, the highs, the lows, the goals achieved, the set backs, the surgeries, and the lessons learned, but I'll spare most of the details. The last two pictures are from their birthday party on Saturday and as one can see, we have two perfect, little miracles. God has big plans for these girls and I continue to look forward to what he has in store for them!

Every day is an adventure in our household; there is never a dull moment. Sometimes I let my lack of patience get the better of me...raising three little ones is tough! But, last night after I got Sam out of the bathtub and the girls were in there by themselves, Jason called me to come listen to them. They were playing with their new Little Mermaid bathtub toys and singing the song "Beautiful One"..."beautiful one I love, beautiful one I adore, beautiful one my soul must sing". This song has been a favorite of mine for a while and our church band made a little 5 song cd on which is "Beautiful One". We listen to it every morning coming and going to school. They know that the beautiful one is Jesus. Even though they don't completely get it, they were singing the way you sing when Jesus is in your heart. It brings tears to my eyes just thinking back to it. We've come a long way and the Beautiful One has been right there with us every step of the way. Praise the Lord and thank you God!

5 comments:

Rendi said...

Love it and love the Greers!

Unknown said...

Oh, you make me cry. Happy birthday to those sweet cute girls! I feel the Beautiful One with us everyday!

Candace said...

Oh, Nora. Wow. That is absolutely precious. The girls singing, the miracles that they are, the distance they've come. Wow. I really want to hear more about what it all meant and how you got through it and how you've processed it all. It's kind of strange to me now that these girls have such a place in my heart that I missed the birth day. In any case, I can't wait to celebrate many more to come. And I loved Meredith's comment on FB and I echo it- can't wait to see what other miracles the Lord has in store for Haley and Gracie.
Happy happy day!!!

Mama Mia said...

Hope the girls had a fabulous birthday! I remember visiting you in the hospital, and then the girls in their tiny isolettes, and thinking wow...what a long way to go for such teeny tiny little miracles! And how they have grown and achieved! What beautiful little angels - I know they can try your patience, but all our little ones push us to the edge as parents, don't they??? All our love to Haley & Gracie - I really can't believe it has been 4 years!!! Time flies when you are having fun with the Greer girls - we love you! love, the DeFattas

Megsy said...

LOVE to you Nora! You are an amazing mommy and I know your sweet little ladies are in store for a great life journey!